Let us know what you use Fip for – use the comment box at the bottom of this page to add to the page.
- Straight-forward wire receipt, conversion and delivery to
- a traditional editorial system.
- oracle based CMS
- FingerPost Web based wire browser
- Search engines
- Verity Topic
- Fetching stories via ftp
- On a regular basis (every 6 minutes say..)
- on a timed basis
- Collating Stock information into a database.
- Formatting, Collating and paginating stox pages.
- Election processing
- Sports results and fixtures processing
- Racing cards and results
- Generating PostScript pages or part pages – for stox pages, tables and racing pages.
- Formatting and collating data, and then outputting system specific markup
- Quark Xpress Tags
- InDesign Tags
- Fip markup for postscript block generation
- flavours of xml
- markup for traditional systems
- whatever else you like …
Copy flow systems
- Mini syndication system: editing and transmitting stories.
- Maxi syndication system: managing the transmission of a large number of stories in a large number of formats to a large number of customers.
- Mini ad input system for use for web ads at Associated Newspapers. Ads are extracted from the groups newspapers. Automatically expand output (as space is not at a premium on the web, all short forms are expanded (ono -> or near offer etc). Ads are made available on a web browser for checking, manual expansion, tidying upetc, and then pushed through to the web.
Projects to facilitate firewall friendliness
- Photos, ads, wires sent to ftp server. Fip runs a process called fipremote/fipremsvr, where a fast connection is created to the ftp servers from inside the firewall, (so firewall friendly), and then data passed through this pipe for distribution throughout the Mirror Group. Several gigabytes a day being transferred and routed by this process.
- Transmission of pdfs, layout information and ad positions/booking information fetched centrally from a large number of group titles, and ftp’d to a third party pdf archiving, and ad vouchering company. A significant amount of work is done to these pages to ensure that there is a smooth and consistent feed, depite the large number of originating systems and file naming conventions.
Tables generation and editing
A newspaper makes up its socks page from a number of third party suppliers: datastream ICV/TOPIC terminal, the internet (web grabbing) etc all of which can be uploaded into a Fip Stats database for extraction as full pages. We have also added a web mechanism to update manually a number of tables. These may be partially made up of automated material, so the user may be presented with a partially made table, and just fill in the gaps …. or they may be new data that is entered every day.
Grabbing, routing and delivering either to w4 or to a third party CMS. In one case power station data is gathered and collated into a single page of power station stats – replacing a long and time consuming job with a single at-a-glance page.
Generation of racing and prices pages
Classified Advertising page or part page production in conjuction with MediaPlanner